Friday, January 12, 2018

Cross-Post: GURPSDay Summary and Reflections

Another week, another week.

What's Interesting this Week?

Well, just kind of the meta concept that blogging themes might crop up again. I look forward to that.
Thor's Grumblings' post on the "rule of three" is kinda interesting, though, I think it would take a bit of analysis to understand the implications of it. The -3 per decrease in FP could be pretty disruptive; whether that is good or bad I don't immediately know.
Dungeon Fantastic also talks about secret doors, something that feels kinda weird to me in Tabletops. I feel like it is a mechanic best suited for published adventures that are meant to be played repeatedly by different groups, and that context clues for looking for them are kinda hard to pull off. I think they can be an entertaining fixture in a dungeon crawl, but a lot of things can go wrong. On the other hand, not including them at all punishes the types of characters that are competent at finding them if they so look, so very murky waters all said. I'm not sure if I am satisfied with where the post went, but I don't have anything good to add to the conversation, so oh well.

Self Reflection and Other Thoughts

So, I put a feedback function on the bot. The feedback is anonymous, and I get a few messages a week. It's mostly been pretty positive, and that helps when enduring the other buffets I usually deal with. Sometimes people ask me questions using the function, but I have no way to respond to these questions. It's a blessing and a curse of protecting people's anonymity. Someone asked if the bot had a malfunction function, so I added one. Someone asked if the "patreoclypse" affected me. I don't really think so. I don't depend on that income at all, and I'm not trying to become rich, but getting enough so that this hobby is self-sustaining would be nice. There are a few things I'd like to make that really aren't suitable for a chat bot, so having some web hosting would be nice.
The Last Gasp cheat sheet post I made last week was pretty popular relative to a lot of recent posts. I think most people aren't that interested in my programming posts. Oh well.
My progress on my campaign document has stalled out a bit because of other things. Had a lot of game cancellations and moved sessions and under attendance recently. Maybe it is just the holidays, but it still does a number on my enthusiasm and self confidence, and makes me doubt my Game Mastering ability. Are people not showing up because they are bored and found something better to do? Are they simply forgetful? Ah well, not much I can do, and a lot of things I have tried are not effective. Maybe I'll get it right some time.

1 comment:

  1. I always find that November and December are tough on game sessions. Between travel, family obligations, illness, and the general extra business of the time, gaming is something that sometimes has to drop out until people's schedules calm down again in January.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...